Thursday, October 30, 2014
30 October 2014
Janel Parrish b. 1988 (Heroes)
Eva Marcille b. 1984 (Smallville)
Clémence Poésy b. 1982 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
Jon Foo b. 1982 (Tekken, Universal Soldier: Regeneration, Batman Begins)
Jeremy Raymond b. 1982 (Psych, Arrow, Star Trek Into Darkness, Alice [2009 TV])
Fiona Dourif b. 1981 (Curse of Chucky, True Blood)
Shaun Sipos b. 1981 (The Vampire Diaries, Texas Chainsaw 3D, The Grudge 2, Smallville)
Sarah Carter b. 1980 (Falling Skies, Skinwalkers, Smallville, Haven, Dark Angel, Mindstorm, The Immortal)
Paul Telfer b. 1979 (The Vampire Diaries, Co-op of the Damned, Hercules [TV], Stargate SG-1)
James A. Woods b. 1979 (Being Human, Source Code, Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer, Stephen King’s Dead Zone, Big Wolf on Campus)
Matthew Morrison b. 1978 (Space Station 76)
Maria Thayer b. 1975 (Night of the Living Deb)
Adam Copeland b. 1973 (Haven)
Peter New b. 1971 (Delete, Fringe, Smallville, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Stargate SG-1, Dead Like Me, Kingdom Hospital, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, Dark Angel, Seven Days, Level 9)
Michael Broderick b. 1968 (Extant, Touch, Universal Dead, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Jericho, Invasion, Threshold)
Jack Plotnick b. 1968 (The Vortex, Supernatural, Wizards of Waverly Place, Dead Last, Mystery Men, Buffy)
Gavin Rossdale b. 1965 (Constantine )
Russell Yuen b. 1965 (Warehouse 13, The Incredible Hulk , Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 10.5: Apocalypse, Left Behind: World at War, The Day After Tomorrow, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Big Wolf on Campus, Relic Hunter, Battlefield Earth, The Lost World)
Mark Steven Johnson b. 1964 (director, Ghost Rider, Daredevil)
Michael Beach b. 1963 (500 MPH Storm, Stargate: Atlantis, Knight Rider 2010, Quantum Leap, The Abyss)
David Yates b. 1963 (director, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Kristina Wagner b. 1962 (Double Dragon)
Jayne Heitmeyer b. 1960 (Upside Down, Black Swarm, Voodoo Moon, Snakeman, Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, Total Recall 2070, NightMan, The Lost World, The Hunger [TV])
Kevin Pollak b. 1957 (Vamped Out, The Lost Room, From the Earth to the Moon, Perversions of Science, Willow)Juliet Stevenson b. 1956 (The Enfield Haunting, Atlantis [TV 2013], The Secret of Moonacre, The Snow Queen, If…, Truly Madly Deeply, Living with Dinosaurs)
Charles Martin Smith b.1953 (Fringe, Left Behind: World at War, Kingdom Hospital, Deep Impact, The X-Files, Roswell, Tales from the Crypt, The Ray Bradbury Theatre, The Twilight Zone , Starman)
Harry Hamlin b. 1951 (Deadly Nightmares, Space, Clash of the Titans)
Rusty Goffe b. 1948 (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Mirrormask, U.F.O., Through the Dragon’s Eye, Willow, Flash Gordon, Star Wars, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory)
Leon Rippy b. 1947 (Under the Dome, Eight Legged Freaks, The Thirteenth Floor, The Visitor, The Arrival, Stargate, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Universal Soldier, Moon 44, Quantum Leap, Werewolf, King Kong Lives, Maximum Overdrive, Firestarter, Tales of the Third Dimension)
Tim Kirk b. 1947 (artist)
Henry Winkler b. 1945 (Little Nicky)
Ed Lauter b. 1938 died 16 October 2013 (The Prometheus Project, Charmed, Highlander [TV], The X Files, Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Rocketeer, Automan, Manimal, Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann, The Clonemaster, King Kong )
Hamilton Camp b. 1934 died 2 October 2005 (Wishcraft, Star Trek: Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Lois & Clark, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman , Megaville, The Twilight Zone, Mork & Mindy, Evilspeak, Bewitched, The Son of Dr. Jekyll)
William Campbell b. 1923 died 28 April 2011 (The Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman, Shazam!, Star Trek)
Norman Bird b. 1920 died 22 April 2005 (Omen III: The Final Conflict, First Men in the Moon, My Partner the Ghost, Burn, Witch, Burn)
Jane Randolph b. 1915 died 4 May 2009 (Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Curse of the Cat People, Cat People)
Ruth Gordon b. 1896 died 28 August 1985 (Voyage of the Rock Aliens, Rosemary’s Baby)
Notes on the birthday list
1. The Picture Slot. Last year it was William Campbell from Star Trek, this year Harry Hamlin from Clash of the Titans. Next year, the field is wide open.
2. Canadians spotted! This is a tough set. Usually, Smallville is a tell-tale sign, but we have non-Canadians who showed up and Canadians who didn't. Here's the list. Jeremy Raymond, Shaun Sipos, Sarah Carter, James A. Woods, Adam Copeland, Peter New, Russell Nguyen and Jayne Heitmeyer.
3. Wait... he's dead? Ed Lauter died last year, but I don't recall hearing about it. A great Oh That Guy actor, I thought about putting him in the Picture Slot in his role from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but decided against it.
4. The Guy at the Door. Morbid bastid that I am, I take note that everyone younger than Henry Winkler is alive and everyone older is dead. Winkler is not even 70. That's way too young to be The Guy at the Door.
5. Too soon at the party. Pity poor Mark Steven Johnson. He made two movies based on Marvel comic books and they both tanked. These days, they can make a movie about a minor book like Guardians of the Galaxy and make three quarters of a billion dollars worldwide. To be fair, Guardians is a lot of fun and I do not begrudge the filmmakers one penny of their success. Heck, I saw it twice and I'm too old to do that anymore.
Many happy returns to all the living on the list, especially Henry Winkler, and to the dead, thanks for all the memories.
Predictor: Lee de Forest, "The Father of Radio", predicting the world of 2000 in the 17 January 1960 edition of the Sunday supplement American Weekly.
Prediction: There will be almost no housekeeping problems. Temperature, humidity, and velocity of air in each part of the home will be kept automatically at comfortable levels, day and night. Smoke, dust, and harmful bacteria will be purged from the air before it enters. The reversible heat pump, based on the principle of a refrigeration unit, will cool homes in summer and heat them in winter.
Reality: Sounds like a clean room, not a home. Reversible heat pumps exist, but warming homes when the temperature gets below freezing is a difficult task that sucks up a lot of energy.
Looking one day ahead... INTO THE FUTURE!
A final report on the ESPN experts' picks for the World Series.
Join us then... IN THE FUTURE!