Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Never to be forgotten: Dick Ayers 1924-2014


Dick Ayers, a versatile comic book artist best known for his work at Marvel Comics in the 1960s and 1970s, died on Sunday at the age of 83. In comics, one artist does the rough (or not so rough) sketches and another puts ink on top of the sketches, the two jobs known as penciler and inker, respectively. Ayers was one of the few artists to excel at both ends of the process.

Ayers started at Atlas Comics before it changed its name to Marvel and worked on the giant monster comics like "Fin Fang Foom!" and "I Created the Colossus!" When the switch was made to superheroes, he inked many of Kirby's creations.

The work shown here is his inks over Jack Kirby's pencils on the cover of Fantastic Four #12. (Note: Kirby is well-known for his portrayal of action, but I have to say that as far as I'm concerned, the Hulk don't skulk. He's big on the SMASH and not so much on the "peek-a-boo".)

After a year or so Joe Sinnott took over the inks on Fantastic Four and Ayers had a nearly uninterrupted ten year stretch as the inker on Sgt. Nick Fury and his Howlin' Commandos. (I have to admit I cannot type those words without thinking of National Lampoon's smutty satirical version. If you don't know it, Google it.)

Best wishes to the family and friends of Dick Ayers, from a fan. Another part of my childhood is gone forever, but I shall remember it as long as I live.

Dick Ayers is never to be forgotten.

2 comments:

Traveler! Have you news... FROM THE FUTURE?