Maisie Williams b. 1997
Emma Watson b. 1990
Alice Braga b. 1983
Seth Rogen b. 1982
Emma Thompson b. 1959
Glenn Shadix b. 1952
Michael Ansara b. 1922
Many happy returns to everyone on a very full birthday list today. The Cute Girl = Photo Slot choices are an embarrassment of riches, what with both Arya Stark from Game of Thrones and Hermione from Harry Potter, as well as the Brazilian actress Alice Braga whose best known work in genre is I Am Legend.
Well, maybe next year. I am going to invoke The First Rule of Blogging (H.), which of course is "You are not the boss of me!" The Photo Slot belongs to Emma Thompson because I have adored her for more than two decades now.
Predictor: The OMNI Future Almanac, published 1982
Predictions and (reality checks):
Here is a list of jobs the OMNI Future Almanac said would be obsolete by now, with the decade when it would vanish. In parentheses are the reality checks.
1. Data Card Puncher, gone by 1990 (true)
2. Linotypist, gone by 1990 (mostly true)
3. Farmworker, gone by 2000 (not yet)
4. Grocery Cashier, gone by 2000 (no)
5. Machinist, gone by 2010 (not completely robotic yet)
6. TV programmer, gone by 2010 (cable means that The Big Three networks of the 1980s are much less powerful now, but running a major network is still a very powerful, high paying job.)
They forgot 7. Editor, OMNI Future Almanac, gone by 1983.
Looking one day ahead... INTO THE FUTURE!
Tuesday is Heinlein Day and the last time we checked in, he was being Ridiculous Bob. I'll go through his stuff and see if I can't find a prediction from Sensible Bob tomorrow.
Join us then... IN THE FUTURE!