Thursday, December 5, 2013

5 December 2013

 Birthdays
Nick Stahl b. 1979 (Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Sin City, Carnivale)
Amy Acker b. 1976 (Angel, Cabin in the Woods, Supernatural, Dollhouse, Grimm, Warehouse 13)
Lisa Marie b. 1968 (Sleepy Hollow, Mars Attacks!, Planet of the Apes, Dominion)
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo b. 1967 (director, 28 Weeks Later)
Walt Disney b. 1901 died 15 December 1966 (producer, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, The Absent Minded Professor, Son of Flubber)
Fritz Lang b. 1890 died 2 August 1976 (director, Metropolis, Woman in the Moon)

Only six names today, all from movies or TV. I was tempted to put a poster from Metropolis in the Picture Slot, but instead it's Amy Acker because I'm such a Whedonverse fanboy, a reminder that with Joss Whedon, sometimes characters die and they come back, but not quite all the way.


Predictor: Isaac Asimov, asked for predictions about 2014 in honor of the 1964 World's Fair

Prediction: For short-range travel, moving sidewalks (with benches on either side, standing room in the center) will be making their appearance in downtown sections. They will be raised above the traffic. Traffic will continue (on several levels in some places) only because all parking will be off-street and because at least 80 per cent of truck deliveries will be to certain fixed centers at the city's rim. Compressed air tubes will carry goods and materials over local stretches, and the switching devices that will place specific shipments in specific destinations will be one of the city's marvels.

Reality: After a pretty good showing last week, Asimov goes back to some sci-fi cliches that never really took off, moving sidewalks and pneumatic tubes. I'm fond of pneumatic tubes, but long distance moving sidewalks outside of airports are just another reason not to exercise and I'm not a fan.
 
Though in this case, I'm willing to make an exception. In Trondheim, Norway, there is a "bicycle lift" installed on a steep hill which has been in operation for about 20 years now. Based on ski lift technology, a single trolley track is operated with a key card. When activated, a small metal plate appears and the bike rider puts his or her right foot on it and is propelled pleasantly up the hill.

As an old fat guy who rides a bike, usually on level ground or very modest hills at the most around Oakland and the East Bay, I think this is a great idea. Bike riding hasn't quite reached the critical mass in my neck of the woods for this to be something city planners would think of, but I could see this idea catch on.

Good on ya, Trondheim!

Looking one day ahead... INTO THE FUTURE!

Friday means TED Talks predictions. If you are one of those people excited and impressed by TED Talks, I think if you stop by every Friday for just a few weeks, I can cure you of that.

Join us then... IN THE FUTURE!

3 comments:

  1. I'll always have a huge sentimental love for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. My Dad took my brother and me to see it when it was released. I was seven and that movie began my affair with SF. The victorian sets and what would now be considered steampunk models are still impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little younger than you are, Mr. Prosser, so my young and impressionable age movie masterpiece was Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, dueling skeleton hordes, good fun.

      Delete

Traveler! Have you news... FROM THE FUTURE?